The #1 Guide to the Best Cat Trees, Cat Shelves, Cat Condos, and More!Reading Time: 6 minutes
Cats balance the whole sleep-and-play thing very well so they need a space (and toys!) around the house to really have some fun and let out all that “catitude”. A cat tree and cat shelves are there for those kitties in all different shapes and sizes. From cat perches to cat condos to even cat jungle gyms, these products are best for your lively and not so lively cat.
But how do you know what to buy and what brands are the best?
Behold, an extensive guide on what to keep in mind when purchasing and exactly which cat trees, cat shelves, and the rest are the best!
What are Cat Shelves and What is A Cat Tree?
Domestic cats often spend a lot of time indoors. A cat tree or cat shelves are structures built and designed to replicate the activities cats need to keep their minds and bodies alert
Cat trees are designed to allow our feline friends to climb to great heights! While cat shelves are designed to act as perches.
Both cat trees and cat shelves come in various shapes and sizes. This means that there’s going to be a cat tree or cat shelf for every cat! The shape and design usually mimic the natural shape of tree branches.
Save Your Couch and Curtains! Those Beautiful Cats Need Cat Condos!
Cat trees and cat shelves give your cat the opportunity to burn their energy indoors, the same as they do outdoors.
Cats will naturally seek out areas where they can scratch and wear down their claws. Unfortunately, a lot of the places they seek are often our expensive curtains, couches, or beds!
Fortunately, cat trees are designed to enlighten your cats desire to scratch. Many cat trees will have unique textures and materials that are meant to attract your kitty. So, your cat will soon learn that they have their own tree or shelves as the perfect places to do their natural cat scratching!
Cat Plans for Naps and Play! Cat Treehouses and Cat Perches
You’ll see and hear about all kinds of wonderful creations for cats! cat trees, cat condos, cat perches, cat towers, cat tree houses, and cat shelves. There’s just so much for you to choose from!
The differences between their designs and features can help you with choosing the one that is right for the personality and preferences of your feline friend(s).
There Are All Sorts Of Cat Furniture For You To Choose From!
Observe your cat and see what their natural tendencies and behavior is to help you decide on the various features they will enjoy.
Some breeds are more inclined to climb or leap about, others like nothing better than a tunnel or square box to explore.
- Go Pet Club 62" Cat Tree Condo Furniture Beige Color$79.99Color Beige Overall Size 38-inch W/27-inch L/62-inch H Base Board Size 26-inch W/19-inch L Size of Condo 13-inch Dia Size of Top Perch 13-1/4-inch W/3-1/4-inch L/2-3/4-inch H Number of Rope 1 Number of Basket 1 Number of Ladder 1 Posts covered by natural sisal rope Covering Material Fau/ Fur Board Material Pressed Wood Easy to assemble with step by step instruction and tools included.
- PARTYSAVING PET PALACE 62" Cat Tree Kitten Activity Tower Condo with Hammock, Deluxe Scratching Posts, and Rope, APL1354$69.90PARTYSAVING Cat Tree Kitten Activity Tower Condo with Hammock, Deluxe Scratching Posts, and Rope makes a puurrfect gift for your cat or kitten. Designed with fun in mind, this cat tree features three floors with a variety of different activities available on each floor. Features a hammock, condo, tunnel hideout, side basket, top perch, ladder, and a hanging rope. The soft faux fur offers a comfortable, plush surface for your pet to lounge. Scratch posts on all levels assist in keeping your cat from scratching your furniture or carpets. *All hardware and tool (Allen wrench) needed for assembly are included.
WarrantyFor any possible defective products, please contact us first, we will offer you a replacement or refund you
- Original KITTY COT "World's BEST Cat Perch"$44.95The Original Kitty CotTM is the purrfect Cat Bed and is a great design that's sure to thrill your Kitty Cat. The Kitty CotTM is unlike most Cat Bed Window PerchesTM and attaches to your windows using PATENTED Giant Suction Cups, made in the USA. Each suction cup is rated to hold 15 pounds. The Kitty CotTM measures 25-1/2" long from outside of suction cups x 14" wide or deep. The frame is made of strong and durable plastic pipe. The hammock is made of tough weather-resistant fabric, an "easy clean" comfy material that your cats will love. Quickly take the Kitty CotTM down for easy cleaning. The Kitty CotTM will safely hold up to 25 pounds of Cat(s). The Kitty CotTM can go anywhere on a window in your house and at any height. Make sure your window is not broken or cracked before mounting. The Kitty CotTM works indoors and outdoors. Our design is so simple and easy that anyone can put it up and best of all, you need no tools to install it. Lay your cat's favorite blanket to make it even more bed-like and comfortable. Install next to an outside bird feeder or other action locations and your cat will be entertained for hours lying in a sunny place in our cat bed. The mental stimulation of your cat will keep he/she young and active for years. Great for older cats! Kittens are a hoot! They will dream of capturing the world! *FOR NARROWER WINDOWS READ THIS - You can make all Kitty Cots into Adjustable Kitty Cots. Go to KittyCot.com. Click on "Adjustable Kitty Cot". On this page I have provided links to the fittings required that you can buy from Lowe's as well as instructions on how to make the Original Kitty Cot into an Adjustable Kitty CotTM. It literally takes only minutes. If you have questions you can email me from KittyCot.com as well. And don't forget to check out the Kitty CaveTM by Kitty CotTM on Amazon too!
- Furhaven Tiger Tough Cat Tree House Furniture for Cats and Kittens, Double Decker Playground, Gray$79.99Your cat will love the FurHaven Tiger tough double Decker playground cat tree! it features two separate enclosed cat condos, a Cat-IQ busy box, dangling mouse toy, sisal scratching posts, a dangling ball and springy-wand ball cat toys! this tall 5’ 8” cat tower has multiple levels of enjoyment, and whether your kitty is on the lower level playing with the dangling mouse toy, relaxing in privacy in one of the kitty condos, or stretching on an upper cat perch to play with the Cat-IQ busy box, you will know that your cat is happy and safe. The bottom base is large and sturdy, and to keep it interesting, the fabric-covered cat shelves, and the cat houses, come in different shapes and sizes. Several tall columns keep the cat tree secure and are covered with sisal rope-covered cat scratching posts for your cat’s scratching training and pleasure. The cat condo on the second level has a cat ladder that reaches up to the second cat house, and your kitty will want to climb to the upper levels and play with the Cat-IQ busy box, the dangling cat toy, and the spring-y ball toy. Your kitty will get plenty exercise jumping, stretching, and playing on this amazing piece of cat furniture. The double Decker playground cat tree is easy to clean by spot-washing with a damp cloth and vacuuming it when needed. Color: cream, Gray. Assembled dimension: 69.3” tall x 19.7” wide x 19.7” deep
- AmazonBasics Cat Tree with Scratching Posts$41.99Triple-platform indoor cat tree with 7 scratching posts wrapped in jute. Round top platform with sides and curved top rim doubles as a cat bed
Cat Tree Amazon: The Types of Cat Trees for Your Beautiful Kitty!
There are many types of cat trees to choose to give your favorite feline their own area.
- Modern Cat Furniture—Modern Cat Trees: You’ll find some modern cat furniture in modular designs. These are great if you want to purchase pieces separately to add to your cat’s tree and the functions it offers over time.
- Tall Cat Trees: Most cats will love a tall cat tree or a cat tower. Cats are vertical creatures. They will usually go to the highest platforms where they feel secure.
- Small Cat Trees: For limited space or small kittens, a smaller cat tree tucked into your cat’s favorite room can give them their own little corner of the world.
How to Choose the Best Cat Tree for Your Kitty
Your choice of cat tree may depend a lot on how much space you have for it, the size of your cat, how many cats you have, and what kind of activities you know they already enjoy. Pet cat owners may also want to consider the aesthetic appeal within their home.
- Features: Watch your cat. Are they already jumpers, climbers or more inclined to sleep? Look for a tree that has activities that your cat is already doing, especially if you are trying to divert them from your own furniture. If they are a scratcher, look for trees with carpet or textiles that they can use to maintain their claws.
- Sturdiness: Make sure whatever you buy is stable and appropriate for the size and weight of your cat. The base should solid. A toppled over tree can be a catastrophe! They may get spooked and never go near it again.
- Size: This may depend on the space you have available. You will also need to consider the size of your cat. If you have a big cat, they are not going to be happy trying to sit on a ledge width more suited for dainty sized bodies.
- Placement: Think about where you are going to put your cat’s furniture. If they are a company cat, and like being around humans, they may not use it if you are thinking of designating a spare room.
- Comfort: Cats are notorious for sleeping in the most peculiar places and on the different surfaces, but look for something with materials and textures that will not stress your cat. Domestic cats often like nothing better than snuggling into a faux fur lined box.
A Cat Tree House or a Single Cat Tree? How Many Cat Trees Do You Need?
If you have multiple cats in your household, the need for one tree per cat is unlikely. They will usually figure out in under their own terms who climbs and who sleeps where.
When you are buying a tree, check the manufacturer’s recommendations. Some designs specify use for one to two cats, others for two to three, or the huge designs will accommodate three or more furry friends.
As strange as it may seem, if you have two or more cats that are not getting along, a cat tree can help them sort their status and hierarchy and learn to share.
They may not become the best of feline friends, but the dominant cat will likely claim the higher shelves and apparatus as their space, while the less dominant cat will stay lower down and in their own place.
Likewise, if you have multiple cats from the same litter and they already cuddle up, you may find a cat tree with one or two cubbyholes or houses and different layers is all that you need.
The main thing is to check that the base of the tree you use is stable and sturdy enough to hold their combined weight.
Got A Big Kitty? Here is the Best Cat Tree for Large Cats!
If your cat is a big boy or girl you want to make sure, like Goldilocks, you get the right bed for their size.
Large cats are going to need larger trees, wider shelves and sleeping quarters to support their heads and hindquarters and they do not fall over the edge!
Cat Climbing Tree Vs Cat Tree House! Which Do You Need?
Generally speaking, a cat tree house may include ladders and platforms to get from level to level.
A cat climbing tree may feature one longer main post, like a tree trunk, with a platform on the top. As the cat climbs to reach the top, the “trunk” combines as a scratching post.
Meow Magic: Types of Cat Shelves You Can Buy!
You can just buy shelves and perches rather than a standalone cat tree or house. Cat shelf wall systems affix directly to your wall space or to window ledges to create a mini obstacle course or platforms for your cat.
Cat Tree Plans: What is the Best Cat Shelves For Your Kitty!
As with buying a tree, if you are buying cat shelves on their own, think about what types of activities your cat loves, the space you have, and what you can affix in your environment to give a stable surface to play or sleep on.
Cat Wall Shelves Vs A Cat Perch: The Difference!
Cat wall shelving is often a system design. You affix the shelves at different heights to your wall so your cat can explore different levels.
A cat perch is usually a single item that you can affix to your wall, or extend the width of your window sill, to give your cat a place to sleep or daydream.
Catastrophic Creations: Cheap Cat Trees and Cat Shelves
Make sure any cat tree or shelves you are stable. Any sign of wobbliness and your cat may run for the hills, or back to the couch.
Cats have an amazing ability to balance, but they need to feel firm surfaces under their feet.
If your structure does not feel safe to them, they will ignore it and even worse, for cats, small kittens, other people, or your other furniture could be hurt or damaged if the structure falls over.
We have three cats, each with a different size and shape. Each one of them is able to use these steps with no problem. Ickle is our hefty 16 lb cat and has surprised us most with his agility on these pieces; Heisenberg is our lanky, active cat who can conquer anything; and Lylah is our dainty little six-month-old kitten, who is the only one able to fully lounge on these posts. They can all jump up from below and pull themselves up onto the posts.
Dimensions: Total Length/Depth: 11" Base Diameter: 4.5" Pole Diameter: 4"
All of our furniture comes with screws and all mounting hardware needed to install the piece. When screwed into a stud, these posts are very strong and have been tested to hold 62 lbs.
What About Cat Tree DIY? Don’t Want To Spend Money On Cat Furniture? DIY Cat Shelves and Homemade Cat Trees!
For thrifty pet cat owners who may be good with a hammer and nails, or have an odd assortment of furniture that you can repurpose, it is not that difficult to make your own DIY cat furniture.
How to Build a Cat Tree: Amazon Cat Tree isn’t the Only Option!
Together with some planks of wood, you can re-use old carpet pieces or buy sisal rope fabric and rope. Alternatively, try:
- Existing branches and trees: Do you need to trim the tree branches in your yard from time to time? Repurpose them into DIY cat furniture tied with rope.
- Cardboard boxes: Corrugated cardboard boxes stacked in a corner can provide your cat with hours of fun.
- Existing Objects: Alternatively, in true cat-lady style, you can always just combine your furniture designed for humans for your furry friend’s use. Have a minimalist environment and position your own furniture so that your cat can jump from piece to piece to give your cat exercise! A tall cabinet near a window will give them their bird’s eye view of the world outside
Make sure you check out DIY Cat Ideas: 25 DIY Projects That’s Totally Going to Change Your Cat’s Life for more meowgic inspiration!
5 Tips You Need To Know When Purchasing Cat Shelves and Cat Trees!
- Materials: Check out the materials used. Are they durable and sturdy? Your average domestic cat can live between 12-18 years so when you are putting out the money for their own furniture, look for something that will stand the test of time.
- Style: Choose something that suits your cat’s personality, and possibly breed. A bit of catnip can be great to encourage them to use and explore a cat tree, but you are sure to be onto a winner if you find something they naturally want to explore.
- Installation and Assembly: Some cat trees and cat shelves come ready assembled, others need basic installation and affixing to a wall or other surface.
- Size: Initially purchasing one of the large cat trees for a small kitten may seem over the top, but if you have a Maine Coon, Rag Doll, or similar sized large cat you will soon appreciate the size and space they need.
- Multi-purpose and Multiple Cats: Whether you are a single cat household, have multiple domestic cats, a design that gives them a range of options to play alone, or together can keep everyone happy!
Cat Furniture Like Cat Trees And Cat Shelves for Ultimate Kitty Mansions!
There’s no doubt about it, cats like furniture whether it is “yours” or “theirs”. Investing in a cat tree or cat shelves can help with keeping your cat agile and mentally alert and give them a safe and secure place to sleep.
Common Questions On Cat Trees And Cat Shelves
What Are Some Cat Climbing Trees For Large Cats?
Best Cat Trees For Multiple Cats?
All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase CertaPet.com may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.