Help Mittens Shed Those Pounds with a Cat WheelReading Time: 4 minutes
Curious, active, fierce! Kittens are the cutest hunters ever, but do they need a cat wheel to stay in shape? House cats certainly do. Fighting the lethargic indoors lifestyle can become a burden for any fast cat. Wild feline spirits can become depressed when they are contained within a few square meters.
Mittens needs physical and mental stimulation to stay in shape. From cat games to cat wheels, the laser pointer classic, and the good old empty box, there are so many fun things to keep cats busy. Let’s break down all the benefits of getting a cat wheel and take your cat running towards a healthier, and longer, life.
Introducing the Cat Wheel
How can I keep my cat active indoors? Is the Gardfield’s lifestyle good for my cat? How can I help my cat shed those extra pounds? The solution to all these problems is simple, yet revolutionary: The cat wheel. Inspired by hamster wheels, ventures such as One Fast Cat are helping felines lose weight one step at a time.
A stay-at-home cat is more prone to become overweight, depressed, and creative. Creative how? You might ask. Well, by redecorating your furniture with its claws to drain some accumulated anxiety, for starters. Cats are avid hunters, and fortunately, in most houses, there is not much action in the hunting department. That’s why cat wheels are so beneficial for mittens.
It’s essentially a Cat Hamster Wheel!
As you can see on One Fast Cat’s website, a cat wheel is very similar to the classic hamster wheel. Easy to clean and easy to assemble, they are the best indoorsy way to keep your cat active. The original cat wheel’s designers sought practicality in form and quality. One Fast Cat also has the resistance necessary to put those chubby obese cats on their way towards a better health condition.
How Fast Can a Cat Run on These Wheels?
Some cat breeds are naturally fast. An indoor cat wheel will allow your cat to run at the speed at which it feels most comfortable. From a slower pace to a more vigorous speed, a cat exercise routine will adjust exclusively to the skills of your feline friend.
Also, there are cat breeds faster than others. For example, the Egyptian Mau is the fastest domestic breed in the world, and can reach up to 30 miles per hour… So, if you have one of those, a cat wheel is definitely vital to keep your cat healthy and balanced.
The One Fast Cat Exercise Wheel is a Cut Above the Rest!
If you are planning to buy a cat wheel, you will probably have researched all the details about every model currently available. What makes One Fast Cat, the best cat wheel? Its design and simplicity.
This cat wheel is:
- Practical and portable, it has a convenient design for shipping and storing it in a small box.
- You don’t need to be an engineer to put it together. The assembly process will only take you a few minutes.
- It is easy to transport.
- Made in neutral colors with a minimalist design.
- Environmentalist? The One Fast Cat wheel is made from recycled plastics.
The Health Benefits of This New Take on a Cat Treadmill
All shapes, weights, breeds, and cat sizes are beautiful. There’s no doubt about that. However, the health benefits for a cat to stay active with a cat wheel are extremely important.
Here are some of the cat wheel benefits:
- A cat running on a cat wheel improves its breathing capacity. Also, because of the increase in oxygen flow within your cat’s lungs thanks to the exercise, your cat might even snore less.
- An active cat is a happy cat. Your cat’s mental health will also benefit from having a cat wheel at home.
- Physical exercise helps prevent ligament damage, osteoarthritis, spinal problems, and other weight-related conditions.
Safety First! Are There Risks Involved?
To keep your cat’s exercise routine risk-free, it is essential to place your cat wheel on a sturdy surface. If you have a carpeted floor, no problem! Place some decorative wooden boards under your indoor cat wheel.
Also, double-check the cat wheel’s assembly and test it a few times before inviting Mittens to take a ride.
Don’t Push a Fat Running Cat Too Hard
Having an overweight cat is more common than you think. How can I help an obese cat to get back in shape? Don’t push it too hard.
Remember that overweight cats tend to present cardiovascular conditions, joint problems, and difficulty breathing. Train Mittens with patience until it gets used to a daily exercise routine.
Is There a Wheel for a Giant Cat?
Yes, there is! There are cat wheels for big beautiful cats! Of course, there is a weight limit to take into consideration: 25 to 30 lbs. is the maximum advisable weight to use a cat wheel. Remember, to make changes in your feline’s habits it is essential to start slowly. Walking, changing diets, playing…One paw at a time.
Cat Exercise Wheel DIY Level Expert!
Feeling a little nervous about going for a DIY Cat wheel? Don’t worry! It’s easier than you think. Ready to build your brand new cat wheel? Let’s do this!
8 Steps to Making a DIY Cat Wheel
First of all, get these materials:
- Two (2) pillow block bearings.
- A 1-inch black pipe fitting.
- Plywood, strong, softer, flexible type.
- Wood screws and bolts.
- Strong wood glue.
- Something to cover the inside of the wheel with, like a yoga mat.
- A jigsaw of good quality.
- Wood clamps.
Building a cat wheel at home:
- Start with the strong plywood circular backboard. Measure out a backboard appropriate for your cat’s dimensions. Mark the center point on the board and draw a perfect circle around it.
- Cut it out with the jigsaw.
- Build the cat wheel itself. Fashion some plywood strips for support. The sturdy type of plywood is preferable here. Make anywhere between 13-17 strips, depending on the size of your cat.
- Using the glue and the clamps, secure the strips to the backboard.
- Make another board identical in dimension to the first circular backboard. Place it on top of the strips, parallel to the backboard, and measure the amount you need to cut out to connect the second layer of plywood to the backboard via the strips. Glue it securely to the top of the strips and allow one or two days to dry.
- You will need the flexible plywood here as well as wood glue and nails. This step is important to the result of your cat wheel.
- Mount it to a wall so that it’s sturdier. Here, you’ll use the pipe and the black pipe fitting will go in the hole you’ve carved in the center of the backboard.
- The last step is decoration to your heart’s content! Whatever will make Mittens more comfortable!
Getting Mittens on the Cat Running Wheel One Paw at a Time
Using cat toys and treats is an excellent way to get your cat to start loving its cat wheel. If you have a cat who loves adventure and runs around your house in short spurts, it will probably enjoy its cat wheel immediately. Some cats don’t even need training to use a cat wheel and start training as Rocky would, with an Eye of the Tiger soundtrack and all.
Other feline friends are going to need a little more support to start exercising. Positive reinforcement and a reward system are highly advisable in such cases.
Going beyond appearances is everything in life. It’s not just about looks, more importantly, it’s about health. An active cat with that can train on a cat wheel and enjoy a balanced diet will have more opportunities to become a healthy senior cat.
All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase CertaPet.com may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.