Flying with an Emotional Support Animal

flying with an emotional support animal
You can fly hassle-free with your animal — without charge — so long as you qualify and have obtained an emotional support animal letter from a licensed mental health professional.

Flying with an Emotional Support Animal: Know the ACAA

The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination against passengers with disabilities. Airlines are required to accommodate passenger needs. If you need your animal to help relieve psychological symptoms associated with your disability, traveling with your animal is as simple as obtaining an emotional support animal letter.

The letter will explain that your animal is a part of your treatment plan and needs to accompany you to provide relief from your symptoms.

You can also utilize an emotional support animal vest or patch and a photo ID of your animal; however, all that is legally required is the letter from your medical or mental health professional.

Although having a vest or photo ID is not required, it can sometimes make a passenger feel more comfortable in that they do not have to identify the purpose of their animal.

We know traveling can be stressful, but provided you have the correct documentation, it can be easy and fun again knowing you have the support you need.

Click below to see if you qualify:

Take A Free 5-Minute Screening

Any Questions?

You can go to our FAQ section,
Email us at [email protected],
call us at (877) 207-0561,
or chat with us below.

All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.

  • Paula says:

    There are people with major non military PTSD….and I can’t function in these situations without my emotional support animal…Your post is very insensitve of a lot of people!

  • Ramon says:

    Anybody knows if united airlines accept the certapet letter?

  • Lucy says:

    Yes, yes and yes. Your dog CAN sit WITH you. The law protects you and is very clear in this regard.

  • Lucy says:

    Actually not true. A service animal or ESA can sit WITH you. Don’t make comments based on your feelings. Check out the LAWS. In all cases, appropriate behavior is required of the animal.

  • Nikki says:

    Letter from Certapet was accepted by American Airlines

  • Sarah knox says:

    It is really sad how some people take advantage and use this as a loop hole. Please remember that there are people who legitimately need an emotional support pet, such as injured soldiers with PTSD. People don’t want the hassle of paying for their pet to travel so they lie to get a letter- it’s a slap in the face to those who actually have special needs. Everyone thinks their dog is the best, but too often these “emotional support animals” poop and pee on the plane and run up and down the aisle. You know if you are legit or not and shame on you if you’re using this as a loop hole. Shame on you for not respecting those who have legitimate special needs

  • Jessica says:

    If your dog can’t fit in a pet carrier that can go underneath the seat, then no, your dog can’t fly with you. It’s still an aircraft, not a zoo.

    • Saskya says:

      Why are you being extra? Nobody said it was a zoo… She just wants to know if she can bring her dog on the plane with her. Small dog/little dog…. same thing… also no dogs in zoos so???

    • KH says:

      Again everyone please just call the airlines for the facts you need. A great deal depends on the disability of each individual. A person that is blind, or has seizures, (examples of course) and owns a German Shepherd or Labrador (examples again of larger dogs) can be given a seat next to it’s owner or yes sometimes you have to pay for that seat. It happens all the time, but again the rules, guidelines & laws change daily so please contact your airline.
      Not all illnesses are visible. Please be careful who you judge. That dog might have cost a mentally or physically ill person money they didn’t really have & did their best to train themselves because the cost to train them is expensive, but the love the animal gives them in return might be the only love they’ve ever felt. #Don’t judge a person by their dog.

  • Kyla says:

    I have a big dog, very well behaved. I will NOT put her underneath the plane in cargo, I would rather drive to Florida. Would she be able to sit with me on the plane? I’ll even buy her a ticket.

  • Ami Bierbower says:

    what is your animal is a large but very calm dog (still will not be fitting under any seat in a box though)?

  • Robert Boyd says:

    I am interested in applying to have an emotional support animal (my dog, Eva) for my stress and anxiety when flying. I am excited to see that you will send a letter vouching for the necessity of the ESA, but some airlines are now requiring that an authorization form be filled out in addition to having the letter.
    Here is the American Airlines Authorization Form:
    Would the licensed healthcare practitioner be willing to fill out this form as well? The flight I am looking to book is on American Airlines.

    • Lee says:

      I would like a follow up to the above comment by Robert Boyd.
      Is the required authorization form filled by a licensed professional in addition to having the letter?
      I plan on flying AA and need to have the authorization form completed as well.
      Thank you in advance!

      • Ky says:

        I would like to see if there is an answer to this question. I would also like to Fly American and it seems like they require that form to be filled out. Is that something that would be able to be done?

        • Amber says:

          I have flown AA, Southwest, and United using my therapist’s letter in place of the airlines’ form. As long as the letter has all the information that the airlines require on their form, it is considered valid documentation. The letter is good for one year, so if you fly frequently, you don’t have to worry about having your doctor fill out forms for each different airline every time you fly.

          • Dorothy says:

            Amber, Did you receive your letter online or directly from a doctor? I am trying to find out it Southwest accepts Certapet’s Emotional Support documents and letters. Any suggestions would be helpful.
            Thank you

    • Lucy says:

      Rob, I understand the fear of flying issues. I have them too, but the law does not apply to situational stressor.sYou must have a diagnosed emotional disability documented by your mental health professionals to qualify under the law. I’m sure an ESA would help you while flying but to meet the legal requirements the disability must be ongoing.

    • Suzanne Valentine says:

      I was told they would complete the form and return same to you for an additional $20. This cost goes directly to the therapist who will complete the form.

  • >