How to Ask Doctor for Emotional Support Animal LetterReading Time: 3 minutes
If you live with an emotional disability or mental illness like anxiety, acute stress disorder, depression, or PTSD, an emotional support animal could help you to manage with the symptoms. The most important step to getting an emotional support animal is to get an ESA letter from a doctor or licensed mental health professional. Let’s take a closer look at how to ask your doctor for an ESA letter.
Why People with Mental Illness Find it Hard to Ask a Doctor for an ESA!
Unfortunately, mental illness still remains a taboo subject for some, and many people find it difficult to address the topic with their doctor. Here at CertaPet, we’re all about breaking the stigma around mental health problems. Talking to your doctor about depression or anxiety should be no different than talking to them about the flu or a stomach ache.
How to Ask Doctor for Emotional Support Animal Letter
If you’re receiving treatment from a licensed mental health professional for a diagnosed mental illness or emotional disability, you can ask them to write you an ESA letter. This is a simple process, but it could make a real difference. With a valid ESA letter, you and your emotional support animal are eligible for legal protections, such as being able to travel with your ESA in the cabin free of charge on commercial flights and living with your ESA in rented accommodation.
Learn more in depth on how to ask doctor for an emotional support animal letter below.
Asking your Therapist for an ESA Letter
If your therapist is a licensed mental health professional, they can also issue an ESA letter. The same rules apply: it must be on letter headed paper and it must state that you have been diagnosed with a mental or emotional disability, you are receiving treatment for it from the letter’s issuer, and your ESA is a part of that treatment. It must also contain the issuer’s license number and the date and place where the license was issued.
5 Ways an Emotional Support Animal Can Help You Cope with Your Symptoms
Emotional support animals can help their owners in numerous ways. A few are listed here:
- Acting as a distraction from intrusive or negative thoughts
- Establishing a healthy routine of regular exercise, play, and responsibility
- Gaining confidence to go outside and create opportunities for socialization
- Providing unconditional love and support in times of stress or unhappiness
- Being a calming presence that helps to block stress hormones
CertaPet is Here to Help You Get a Valid Emotional Support Dog Letter
If you’re not currently seeing a doctor or a licensed mental health professional, CertaPet is here to help, and the good news is, it’s very simple!
The first step is to try our free and completely confidential 5-minute screening process. This is designed to see if you may be a good candidate for an ESA. If you are a good candidate for an ESA, CertaPet will connect you with a licensed mental health professional in your state.
What do the Letters Say: Can You Get an Emotional Support Animal Letter Sample?
At CertaPet our focus is on helping people to get 100% legal ESA letters. As such, we don’t keep samples of ESA letters on the website, to avoid fake versions being issued.
Why There’s No Such Thing as a “Legitimate Emotional Support Animal Registration”
As we’ve already seen, the only way to get an emotional support animal is to get a valid ESA letter from a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor. Despite this fact, some unscrupulous websites will try to convince people to “register” or “certify their pet as an ESA animal. Not only are these services a waste of your money and time because they aren’t real, but they can also be damaging to the reputations of legitimate ESAs.
5 Tips on How to Ask YOUR Doctor for an ESA
Follow these five tips on how to ask doctor for an emotional support animal letter.
- Before you worry too much about how to ask your doctor for an ESA letter, make sure you’ve read up about what emotional support animals are and how they can help. Think about how one would fit into your life.
- Keep a record of your symptoms to show your doctor. Some people use a mobile app for this, while others prefer a diary on paper. Knowing how you felt and when will help you to see patterns of the things that have helped you to cope better—like being around animals.
- If you already have a pet, think about the ways that it helps you to feel better, and make sure you share these reasons with your doctor.
- Be calm and confident when you ask your doctor to prescribe you an emotional support animal. Outline how you think it will help, and what exactly you need the doctor to do to help make this happen.
- If you don’t feel comfortable asking your doctor for an ESA letter, CertaPet is here to help. CertaPet can help to connect you with a licensed mental health professional in your state, meaning that you can get an ESA letter quickly and in a stress-free way.
CertaPet is Here to Make Getting an ESA Easier
If you’re still worried about how to ask doctor for an emotional support animal letter, why not let CertaPet do the hard work for you? Start by taking our free online 5-minute pre-screening process to see if you are a good candidate for an ESA, and if you are, we’ll connect you with a licensed mental health professional quickly and easily.
Common Questions on How to Ask Doctor for Emotional Support Animal Letter
All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase CertaPet.com may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.