Designer cat breeds are slowly making their way into the lives of cat lovers across the globe. One such designer cat breed, the Ocicat, is undoubtedly considered one of the most famous cat breeds in the cat world. And, there’s a reason behind this. These feline friends look a lot like the wild Ocelot, but they behave like a house dog!
Meet the Cat that Looks like an Ocelot!
Our desire to live with wild animals has grown exponentially. More and more people, desire wild cats as companions, and the Ocelot is no exception. Although it is illegal to keep a wild Ocelot as a pet, you can, however, get the next best thing, an Ocicat!
The Ocicat is a designer cat breed that is a mix of the Abyssinian and the Siamese. Despite their jungle cat appearance, these felines have no wild ancestry. So, you won’t have to worry about getting attacked!
History of the Ocicat Cat!
As they always say, all great creations are accidents!
Believe it or not, the creation of the Ocicat breed is quite a unique story. During the late 1950s and early 1960s, a cat breeder by the name of Mrs. Daly had a goal in mind; she wanted to create the first Aby-pointed Siamese (Abyssinian-pointed Siamese).
When Mrs. Daly began crossbreeding a beautiful Abyssinian with an elegant Siamese cat; she got first generation Aby-Siamese crosses that looked more Abysissian than anything.
From all these Aby-cross kittens, only one, in particular, stood out, and that was Tonga. Tonga was unique because he had inherited beautiful golden spots and deep copper eyes. Unfortunately, as Tonga did not meet Mrs. Daly breed expectations, he was eventually neutered and sold to a man by the name of Thomas Brown for a mear $10.00.
Not many years after Tongas’ birth, Mrs. Daly came into contact with a genetic professor by the name of Dr. Clyde Keeler who was interested in breeding a cat that looked like the extinct Egyptian Spotted Fishing Cat.
Inspired to create a cat breed similar to the Egyptian Spotted Fishing Cat, Mrs. Daly once again began her breeding program by crossing the Abyssinian with the Siamese. The outcrossing of these pedigree purebreds did eventually lead to the first Ocicats, and as time progressed, more and more breeders took part in the creation of this breed.
The Appearance of the Muscular Ocicat
If you ever get an Ocicat, you’ll never be able to take your eyes off it. The Ocicat will have an exotic-wild appearance too. They are a medium to large sized cat breed who will carry themselves gracefully. These feline friends will weigh anywhere between 9 to 15 lbs, where females tend to sit on the lower end of the scale.
Since this cat breed was originally crossed between an Abyssinian, they will retain a wedge-shaped head and broad muzzle. Much like their Siamese heritage, the Ocicat will have large ears and slightly angled almond-shaped eyes.
A Tawny Cat Color! The Different Colors of Ocicat Cats
Undoubtedly, the most eye-catching feature about this exotic cat breed is its beautiful agouti spotted coat. The Ocicat can come in 12 different colors and four varieties. Recognized Ocicat coat colors include:
- Twany: Where the undercoat may be a bronze agouti and spots are often a shade of dark brown.
- Blue: Where the undercoat appears as a pale blue agouti and spots are dark blue.
- Blue Silver: Where the undercoat will appear as a silver blue agouti and spots are a deep blue.
- Chocolate: Where the undercoat is agouti ivory and spots are a warm brown.
- Chocolate Silver: Where the undercoat is silver agouti and spots are a warm brown.
- Cinnamon: Where the undercoat is an ivory agouti and spots are a cinnamon red.
- Lavender: Where the undercoat is an ivory agouti and spotting is lavender toned.
- Lavender Silver: Where the undercoat is a silver agouti and the spotting is lavender
- Fawn: Where the undercoat is pale ivory and the spotting is fawn toned.
- Fawn Silver: Where the undercoat is a silver agouti and spots are a light fawn red.
- Cinnamon Silver: Where the undercoat is a silver agouti and spots are a reddish brown.
- Ebony Silver: Where the undercoat is silver agouti with dark black spotting.
Two Cat Breeds that Look Similar in Appearance: Ocicat Vs Bengal
Both the Ocicat and the Bengal cat will appear to have a very wild and exotic appearance. However, these two cats are as different as night and day.
The Bengal cat is a cross of the Asian Leopard cat and a domestic cat. Which means that Bengals can credit their jungle cat look to their wild ancestry. Bengals have a unique appearance, the fur on their torso is covered in large brown rosettes, while the fur on their leg is stripped.
Depending on which generation of Bengal you choose to adopt, these cats can have a wild side to them. They are very independent and active animals that will require plenty of space to roam.
Ocicats, are not crossed with the wild Ocelot. So, this cat breed will not have any wild in them. This makes the Ocicat a lot easier to train and handle.
5 Facts You Need to Know About Spotted Cat Breeds
- Since this cat breed has a peculiar and unique marking, Mrs. Daly’s daughter nicknamed their first Ocicat the Ocelot.
- Most Ocicats, if well-cared for, can live up to15 years!
- Despite their exotic and unusual looks, this cat breed really originated from Michigan, United States in 1964.
- Ocicats are active animals; they will love to run, climb, and scratch up your rug. Because of their dynamic nature, Ocicats are not prone to obesity.
- The Cat Fanciers Association does allow Ocicat outcrosses. But, an Ocicat can only be outcrossed with an Abysinnian litter born before 12/31/2030.
Ocicat Cat Personality and Temperament
Ocicats may look like the wild jungle cat, the Ocelot, but rest assure these felines are far from wild. Friendly by nature most Ocicats are calm and playful animals that make fantastic family members.
These furry-legged friends thrive in an environment where they are in constant supply of human attention. Ocicats aren’t needy cats, but they are indeed cats that require playtime and cuddles.
This cat breed can get along very well with other pets in the house. In fact, cat enthusiasts often refer to them as dogs, because of their social and easy going nature.
So, Do these Designer Cat Breeds Make for Great Emotional Support Animals
Emotional support animals are assistance animals who have a unique ability to connect with their owners. Emotional support animals are there to provide comfort and support to their owners who may be suffering from mental illnesses such as depression or anxiety.
Ocicats are easily considered one of the more popular designer cat breeders. The reason behind this, of course, is the fact that they are not only affordable, but they are also incredibly friendly, trainable, and affectionate. Because of their unique personality, Ocicats undoubtedly are considered an awesome emotional support cat.
Do these Designer Cat Breeds have a Clean Bill of Health?
Being a mixed breed can have benefits! Because the Ocicat is a mix of the Abyssinian and the Siamese, many of them can live quite healthy lives.
But, some Ocicats may not be as lucky!
Unfortunately, both the Siamese and Abyssinian are cat breeds who have become notorious for their health problems.
Improper breeding of Ocicats with poor genetic health can result in common health problems like:
- Renal amyloidosis
- Retinal degeneration
- Urinary tract problems
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, and
Ocicat for Sale!
Getting an exotic-designer cat breed can be a life-changing appearance. For people interested in getting their first Ocicat, there are a few places you can go!
Save a Life and Adopt a Kitty!
Adopting a cat from a rescue will be a rewarding experience. Today, there are many cats of all breeds that are unfortunate enough not to have a home. By adopting a cat from a rescue or animal shelter, you’ll be saving a life!
Although, designer cat breeds may be hard to come across. There are still many private rescues who take in purebred or designer cat breeds. To search for an Ocicat in need of a home check out:
- Rescue Me! Ocicat, on Facebook
Ocicat Price Tag! Do you Need to Break the Piggy Bank?
People who love felines that look like wild jungle cats will flock to buy either a Toyger, Bengal, or Ocicat. While the Toyger and Bengal cat breeds are considered the more expensive of the three, the Ocicat cat breed is fairly reasonably priced.
The price tag for an Ocicat can range anywhere from $150 to $500. Where spotted Ocicats with desirable coats can range up to $700.
3 Tips for Cat Lovers!
- The Ocicat cat breed has a short, dense, silky fur coat that’s tight to their skin. Sometimes, many Ocicats may be prone to dryness. This can often leave their coat looking dull and brittle. To avoid such a problem, It’s essential to ensure your cat receives adequate levels of omega fatty acids and DHA.
- To prevent your furniture from getting ruined, it is a wise idea to invest in proper cat toys and cat climbing trees. This is one cat breed that loves to play and climb.
- As this cat breed is prone to dental disorders, it is important to maintain their dental health through regular teeth brushing.