Revolution for Cats: The 5-in-1 Best Flea Treatment for All Kitties?Reading Time: 4 minutes
Fleas, ticks, worms, mites, and more! Have you ever wondered what awesome product can help you control these external and internal parasites in cats? Revolution for cats is a 5-in-1 broad-spectrum topical parasiticide that has won the hearts of cats and their owners across the world. Read on to learn more about this purrfect product for cats.
Revolution for Cats Without Vet Prescription?
Since it is an FDA approved drug, it is very unlikely that Revolution will be available for purchase without a vet prescription. However, other drugs can be purchased without a vet prescription.
Pet meds without vet prescription are commonly known as over-the-counter drugs, these meds can include things like:
- Flea and tick treatments
- Heartworm medications
- Supplements, and
If you’re interested in purchasing some reliable and safe supplement products for your pets then check out:
- Honest Paws CBD oil: CBD oil for cats has an array of benefits. Today, pet owners flock to CBD oil for the treatment of inflammation and pain in cats.
- Vet’s Preferred Chewable Joint Supplements: Although a supplement for dogs, Vet’s Preferred offers an array of products that can be purchased for pets. One of their most popular products includes the Vet’s Preferred Chewable Joint Supplements which is perfect for any arthritic dog.
- Other flea and tick products like K9 Advantix II and Frontline Plus
What is Revolution for Cats?
At some point in every cat owners life, they’ve probably been recommended Revolution for cats. Revolution is a topical parasiticide that contains an active chemical known as selamectin. It is a product that is currently marketed and distributed by a company called Zoietis.
Does your Baby Kitten Need Protection too? Revolution for Kittens!
If you own puppies or kittens then you’re in luck!
Zoietis is able to protect your beloved baby animals through Revolution too! Revolution is available for both puppies and kittens. Each package will contain 3 tubes which provide a 3 month supply. This meowtastic flea and tick treatment for cats can only be given to kittens above 8 weeks of age.
So, What Does Selamectin for Cats Do?
Selamectin is a chemical compound that has anthelmintic properties. As we mentioned above, Revolution is considered a topical parasiticide. And a parasiticide is any substance that has the ability to kill a broad range of parasites.
These means that selamectin for cats—aka Revolution for cats—has the ability to kill and prevent the following parasites:
- Flea infestations: Revolution is directly able to terminate any adult fleas on a cat, as well as prevent any eggs from hatching.
- Prevent heartworm in cats: Revolution for cats is considered to be the most effective preventative for the development of heartworm larvae.
- A meowtastic treatment for ear mites in cats: Yes, if your beloved kitty is being infested with ear mites, then don’t worry! Revolution for cats has got you covered!
- Control of internal parasites in cats: Internal parasites such as nematodes can easily be controlled and treated through the use of revolution.
Worms in Cats is no Pretty Sight! So, Here’s How this Cat Dewormer can Help!
Cat worms are nasty parasites that can invade your kitties body. Many of these internal parasites can even be a bit zoonotic! Which means humans can contract parasites from their cats. Fortunately, Revolution for cats has the ability to kill a broad range of internal parasites.
The first of these parasites is the roundworm! Now both cats and kittens can get this worm through consumption of prey animals like mice, through nursing from their mothers, and even through consuming soil!
Another parasite Revolution can protect your cat from are hookworms! Just like roundworm in cats, hookworms can be transmitted to humans too!
Finally, Revolution can protect your cat from heartworms! Now, heartworms in cats possess no risk to humans. Which means you’re not going to contract this parasite from your kitty. However, this parasite can be deadly! This is because at the moment there is no proper and approved treatment for heartworm. Rather, veterinarians encourage cat owners to protect their pet by preventing heartworm through Revolution.
Revolution for Cats Adverse Reactions You Need to Watch out for!
Revolution for cats is a controlled drug. In other words, it has been approved by the FDA and has shown to be quite safe for even kittens around 8 weeks of age. However, it is important to remember that any drug—FDA approved or not—has the potential to cause adverse reactions in our pets.
Studies have shown that Selamectin—the main chemical found in Revolution—has a fairly high safety margin. This meant that only a small percent of pets—as little as around 1% were likely to develop an adverse reaction.
Some documented adverse reactions and side effects to Revolution for cats include:
- Diarrhea (with or without blood)
- Tachypnea (fast breathing), and
- Muscle tremors
In very rare cases, the following adverse reactions may occur:
So, How Do You Administer Revolution Flea Treatment for Cats?
Revolution for cats will come in small capped tubes. Each tube will provide 1 months protection for a cat or dog. When you purchase a package of Revolution for cats, then your veterinarian or a vet technician will demonstrate how to apply the product.
The steps for applying Revolution are as follows:
- Revolution tubes have a seal on them. So, upon uncapping the tube, you can flip the cap and firmly use the cap to press down the tube.
- Upon pressing down the tube you will hear a click sound. This means that the tube is now open and available for use.
- At the base of the neck, in between the shoulder blades. Part your cat’s fur, exposing the skin.
- You will now need to place the tip of the tube and empty the contents (via squeezing the tube) onto your cat’s skin.
- While squeezing and emptying the tube, begin to move the tube in a vertical line. This ensures a that the chemical spreads well.
When administering Revolution for cats remember to never:
- Place the contents of the tube on broken or injured skin
- Bathe or shampoo pets! So, don’t let your cat go out if it is a rainy day.
- Leave any leftovers in the tube! As, in order for the product to be effective, all contents of the tube need to be on the animal. Giving the full dose is crucial!
- Massage the contents onto your pet’s skin after application.
Happy Customers & Happy Cats: Revolution for Cats Reviews
Don’t believe our word for it! Here is what happy customers say about Revolution for cats!
” I have had to switch to Revolution as our previous medication no longer would work. This one works great. Don’t know what we would do without it. And – my kitties don’t seem to be bothered by the smell of this one.” ~ Froggy20703 from Chewy.com
“My cats take no notice to the medication. They are both healthy and I have had no problems with fleas, eat mites and their last test proved worm-free. They are very happy and healthy.” ~Toni from PetCareRx
Revolution for Cats Amazon: Where Do You Buy Pet Meds without Vet Prescription
As we mentioned above Revolution for cats is a controlled FDA approved drug. This means that only a licensed veterinarian is able to prescribe the drug to you. However, you do not need to buy the drug directly from your vet!
Once you attain a veterinary prescription for Revolution then you can purchase this drug from:
- Costco pharmacy (in-store only)
- 1800 Pet Meds, or
- Any online pet pharmacy
Note that pet pharmacies will require pet owners to send in their written pet prescription for Revolution. In addition, Revolution is not available for purchase through Amazon.
5 Fun Facts About Revolution Cats!
- Revolution for cats has a high safety margin! Studies have shown that Revolution can be administered to cats on various drugs including antibiotics and steroids. This means that if you want to give your cat CBD oil as part of their supplement, then it should be okay! However, make sure you consult your veterinarian first!
- Revolution is flammable! This is because the drug is preserved with an alcohol-based compound known as isopropyl. So, make sure you keep the production away from extreme heat and open flames. Ideally, store it areas below 30°C (86°F).
- This product is not intended for human use! If you believe you’ve contracted a parasite then do not use this product. When in contact with skin, some people may develop skin reactions which include itchiness, hypersensitivity, and hives.
- Indoor cats are still at risk of contracting parasites! If you’ve got an indoor cat then they can still contract many of the parasites we’ve discussed above.
- All it takes is one bad mosquito: Yes, it is true! All it takes is one bad mosquito to infect your cat with heartworm.
Common Questions on Revolution for Cats
All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase CertaPet.com may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.