Trifexis For Dogs: Reviews, Side Effects, and Coupons/Trifexis Rebate!Reading Time: 6 minutes
Got a flea problem? Do you want to protect your beloved pooch from scary diseases such as heartworm disease? Have you heard of Trifexis for dogs?
Our dogs are beloved members of our family. And we want them to be healthy and happy. One of the biggest problems that dog owners face is fleas. Fleas can make their way into your dog’s coat, and before long they can take over your entire yard and house.
Along with causing severe itching and issues, fleas can be the leading reason why a pet becomes infected with heartworms and a variety of other canine worms that are a worry.
Treating your dog is the best way to prevent this from taking over your life. The good news is that Trifexis is here and it’s known as one of the leading medications for fleas, heartworms and parasite prevention.
Trifexis for Dogs: The Killer of All Parasites
Trifexis is a medication that can be given to your dog once per month, every month to keep fleas from infesting your dog.
In addition, it prevents heartworms in dogs, and treats and controls adult hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections. It is stated that the medication will start to kill fleas on a dog within 30 minutes of ingesting this medication.
Trifexis For Dogs Tablets: What Parasites Does It Kill?
Trifexis is able to eliminate and prevent the infestation of parasites such as:
- Ctenocephalides felis aka the flea!
- It’s able to prevent infestations of Angiostrongylus casorum
- It’s able to treat and eliminate dangerous gastrointestinal worms such as hookworms, roundworms (in particular Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina), and whipworms (Trichuris vulpis)
How Does Trifexis Work?
Trifexis is a combination of two medications, which is how the medicine is able to treat and prevent so many issues that dogs experience. This is a combination of spinosad and milbemycin oxime. The combination of these drugs is what attacks the fleas that the dog has, as well as preventing these from infesting the dog in the future.
The Benefits of Trifexis!
Flea collars such as the scalibor protector band can potentially manage the flea control population on your pooch. But, flea collars aren’t as effective when it comes to efficiency. There are several benefits of Trifexis for your dog. These benefits include:
- Easy to give to your dog at home
- Works within 30 minutes, meaning that your dog does not have to be isolated
- This is a 3 in 1 pill, meaning fewer pills that you have to give your dog
- It is a highly rated flea pill, with many vets recommending this
- Easy to give an oral pill, that most dogs take without hesitation
- Trifexis is easy to use, chewable tablets, that kills fleas, prevents heartworm infection, and kills other intestinal parasites.
Possible Trifexis Side Effects in Dogs
As with any medication that is given to a dog, there is always a chance of side effects. The most common side effect is vomiting. However, this often doesn’t last long and has no serious long-term effect. Other side effects that have been observed include:
- Loss of appetite
- Redness of the ears or skin
Those dogs that have epilepsy are advised not to take this medication as the side effects can be more severe and result in permanent issues.
Now, if you’ve ever done a dog DNA test, then you might have heard about the MDR-1 mutation. Manufacturers of Trifexis state that people who own dogs that have avermectin sensitivity and have the MDR1-mutation in their genes should be cautioned against using this drug.
Know the Signs of a Trifexis for Dogs Overdose or Adverse Reaction
How do you know when your dog is having an adverse reaction or an overdose due to this medication?
In most cases, an overdose or adverse reactions can be seen within one hour of giving the medication to your dog. You may notice that the dog seems confused and they are not acting like their normal happy selves.
This is a huge sign that there could be a bigger issue. In addition, if the dog begins to get sleepy, does not seem to have the energy or the vomiting seems to be in huge amounts, it may be time to call your veterinarian to see what can be done or to find out if this is a normal side effect.
Trifexis can be given to any dog that is over 8 weeks old and is greater than 5 pounds. The dosage depends on weight, and this is what they recommend:
- 5 to 10 pounds: 140 mg/2.3 mg
- 10.1 to 20 pounds: 270 mg/4.5 Mg
- 20.1 to 40 pounds: 560 mg/ 9.3 mg
- 40.1 to 60 pounds: 810 mg/13.5 mg
- 60.1 to 120 pounds: 1620 mg/ 27 mg
And the rate continues to go up depending on the weight. Your veterinarian can give the exact dosage based on the weight of the dog in their office.
Trifexis for Puppies
Can Trifexis be given to puppies?
Yes! Trifexis heartworm preventatives provide year-round protection against heartworm disease for dogs and puppies over the age of 8 weeks, and above 5 lbs or more.
Giving this medication to a puppy that is younger than this or not as heavy, could result in side effects that could take a permanent toll on the puppy.
This is something that you can talk with your veterinarian about, if your puppy is unable to take this medication, there may be alternative solutions.
Trifexis for Cats? Is that a Thing?
There is no Trifexis brand for cats.
However, the medication that is used in Trifexis can also be used for cats. Trifexis is simply the brand that is for dogs only, rather than being for both. But, both active components of this medication can be given to cats in smaller doses due to their light weights and bodies.
Trifexis Comparison with Other Fighting Flea Brands!
There are several flea medications on the market that dog owners can choose from.
Some of the most popular that directly compete with Trifexis is Revolution and Sentinel. Let’s take a look at each one here.
- All three brands prevent heartworms disease
- Sentinel and Trifexis prevent roundworms, while Revolution only does this for cats
- Sentinel and Trifexis kill hookworms, Revolution only does so in cats
- Whipworms are covered by Sentinel and Trifexis but is not covered by Revolution
- Tapeworms are not covered by either of these three medications
- When it comes to fleas, Revolution kills adult and flea eggs. Sentinel keeps flea eggs and larvae only, while Trifexis covers every stage of a flea.
- Revolution does kill other parasites while Sentinel and Trifexis do not.
- When it comes to giving these medications to breeding, pregnant or nursing pets, Revolution has been proven safe. Sentinel has been tested to be safe at normal doses, and Trifexis must be something that you consult with your veterinarian first.
- When it comes to age, Sentinel allows this to be given to dogs as young as 4 weeks of age who are over 2 pounds, while Revolution can be given to 6 weeks old and has no weight requirement to be met. Trifexis does require that the dog be over 5 pounds and be 8 weeks of age and older.
- All three require a prescription
- Revolution is a topical solution, whereas the other two are oral tablets.
- All three a monthly medication to give
Overall, Trifexis hits more problems than the other leading brands, which is why so many vets are recommending this for their patients.
Now, Bravecto for dogs is often considered a competitor with Trifexis for dogs. Here’s how Bravecto for dogs compares with Trifexis.
- Like Trifexis, Bravecto for dogs is able to provide adequate flea control as it kills fleas! As an added bonus, Bravecto also kills and prevents the proliferation of the flea and tick population.—Trifexis won’t kill that tick!
- Trifexis is able to prevent heartworm infection, while Bravecto cannot!
- Trifexis is able to control the population of intestinal parasites like roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms. Bravecto cannot!
So, what’s the verdict? Well, both products are good in their own way. If you just want to control fleas and ticks on your dog, then you can choose Bravecto since it’s a lot cheaper. But, if you want to take that extra step, and protect your pooch from heartworm and intestinal parasites, then Trifexis is the way to go!
Make sure to read Best Flea and Tick Treatment for Dogs: The Ultimate 2018 Guide for more information!
Trifexis Reviews! What Pet Owners Have to Say!
So, what are pet owners saying about this product? There are several reviews online from dog owners and their personal experience with this medication, and whether they would recommend this or not. Here are a few comments from various websites:
- Works quickly and only requires giving this to my dog once a month. This is a great product at a great price!
- The only con of this medication is the taste. My dog sometimes will try to eat it since it tastes bad.
- Just one pill will do the trick, but it is a bit pricey.
- It does have a smell, which is what many dogs first respond to, so it often takes a little persuasion to get them to take it.
The overall perception of this drug is that it does work. And it is well worth the price when finding something that does work for your pet!
Trifexis is a costly medication. And remember, you have to have a prescription in order to get this for your dog. However, before getting this medication, be sure that you are checking out the various prices that different places offer.
Trifexis Amazon, Trifexis Costco, Trifexis Anywhere?!
Since Trifexis is available by prescription only, this does lower the number of places that you can actually get this medication. For those who love to shop on Amazon, they are going to find that you cannot buy this from the giant discounter.
Costco does have this, though you have to be a member to get your price for your area. For price comparison purposes, here are a few figures from other locations:
- Heartland Vet Supply as low as $80
- KVSupply around $85 per month
- 1800PetMeds around $100
You can purchase Trifexis online, however, you have to prove that you do have a prescription for this. In most cases, the website will ask you to enter the dog information along with the veterinarian name, address, and phone number.
They will then confirm with the vet that you do have a prescription for this. In many cases, dog owners find that buying Trifexis online is cheaper. But, if your dog is in desperate need of this medication, be sure to purchase with your vet first so that you can ease their suffering as soon as possible.
Can I Buy Trifexis Without Vet Prescription?
Trifexis cannot be purchased without a vet prescription. If you do find a retailer or website that says that you can purchase without a prescription, steer clear as they may not be giving you the actual Trifexis to use in your dog!
Trifexis Rebate and Trifexis Coupon!
Many vets offer rebates when purchasing Trifexis for the first time, so be sure to check with him or her. The actual Trifexis website has a coupon that can be used to get $25 off of a 12 month supply of this medication. Thus, there are ways to reduce the cost of this much-needed medication for your dog.
There are several FAQs that are asked about this medication for your dog. A few:
- Does this make your dog tired? It can make your dog tried for a short period of time, as this is one of the side effects. This does not last long and is not permanent damage.
- Does this have to be given every month? Yes! It is meant to kill fleas and prevent them; thus, it has to be given every month.
- What do I do if the dog starts having side effects? Call your vet and describe what is happening so that they can recommend a course of action.
5 Tips When Giving Trifexis to Your Doggo!
Are you ready to give Trifexis to your dog? Here are a few tips to help you do this:
- Place this into their food directly if you do have a picky eater.
- Place this inside of a treat if you are worried that they may not eat this from their food dish.
- Be sure to have water on hand, as this could make them thirsty.
- You can crush this chewable pill and place this into food or a treat so that the dog does not realize that they are taking medication.
- Moist treats are going to work best when placing a pill inside of these that the dog is not going to spit back out.
Remember, when it comes to giving your dogs pills, the more that you have worked with them on accepting treats and food, the better this is going to be. For those who still have trouble, talk with your vet about what can be done, as there are also some stubborn dogs out there who simply refuse to take a pill!
Fleas, worms, and heartworms are a huge worry for those dog owners out there. Why wouldn’t you do whatever you could to prevent your dog from getting these pests? And you can with this once-monthly medication that has been shown to work. So, what are you waiting for?
If you are dealing with fleas, worms or you want to ensure heartworms are not a future problem, scheduled an appointment with your vet today. And once there, be sure to ask about Trifexis as an option for your dog!
All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.
Disclosure: Bear in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase CertaPet.com may earn a commission. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.