Flying with an Emotional Support Animal

flying with an emotional support animal
You can fly hassle-free with your pet — without charge — so long as you have obtained an emotional support animal letter from a qualified mental health professional.
The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination against passengers with disabilities, including mental and emotional. Airlines are required to accommodate passenger needs.
If you need your dog or cat, which provides you companionship and satisfaction, and fends off symptoms of disease such as anxiety, depression, headaches, etc… traveling with your pet is easy so long as you have an emotional support animal letter.
The letter will explain that your animal is an emotional support animal, similar to a working service dog.
You may also have an emotional support animal vest or patch, identifying your pet; a photo ID card; a certification document; and letter from your mental health professional, prescribing the emotional support animal to treat the symptoms of your disability.
Traveling with your pet is easy, provided that you have the correct documentation.
Click below to see if you qualify:

Take My Free 5-Minute Screening

Any Questions?

You can go to our FAQ section,
Email us at [email protected],
call us at (877) 207-0561,
or chat with us below.

All product and Company names are Trademarks™ or Registered® trademarks of their respective holders.

  • Ginny says:

    United Airlines wants to charge me $600 to put my doctor certified emotional dog UNDER the plane because he weighs more than their approved weight limit if 60 pounds. Is this even legal??

  • Lori says:

    If you travel with your ESA pet on the airplane do they have to stay in the crate the whole time or can they sit on your lap? Do you even need a crate?

  • Meg says:

    My family is moving to Honduras and my daughter’s both have Emotional Service animals, my 7yr old have a lab/retriever mix, who helps her during autism meltdowns and over stimulation and self harm, my 9 yr old has a cat for PTSD and Anxiety, and I have a emotional service dog as well for PTSD. I have researched till I’m so overloaded with information it is not making any sense. They go to a therapist, and I’m sure I could get a letter from her. But what else will I need to get into the Country, I have tried contacting the Embassies here in the states with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  • Rita says:

    Thank you for your comment that not all illnesses are visible. And the comment about the cost too. I applied for an Emotional Support Animal (ESA). I was approved but the cost is $25,000. $20,000 is paid for by donors. The other $5,000 I would have to raise the money through family and friends and hold fundraisers. The organization would help me organize the fundraisers. After that they would choose a puppy for me. The organization that approved me said that twice a week I had to go to their location and help train the puppy. It would take at least a year. Their place of business is an hour drive from my house. I don’t own a car. People don’t realize what’s involved and they like to comment without knowing the facts.
    Anyway thank you again for your comments.